Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I know, I haven't written a real blog in a while.

And that's because, like I mentioned in a comment to my previous blog, I've been using Liz for all of my daily ramblings about Deutsch Leben. I can't deny that Germany's had an effect on me. My new favourite drink is Apfelschorle, and I don't even know if they have that in America. I eat lots of bread and potatoes. But, I do not however, submit to the german way of cutlery usage. They always use a knife, even when there's nothing to be cut! And they have their forks in their left hands, and I'm right handed, and unless I want to miss my mouth, I've got to use my right hand! Often I think in Deunglish (I've caught myself thinking things like "Oh, that car is going ein bisschen schneller than us")... My german is still awful, but I can have conversations with people know... although they mostly consist of me saying "Wie bitte?", but it's better than nothing.
School itself is... well it depends on the class. Geo and History and Deutsch are quite as dull as ever... English is dull too but at least I know what's going on in that class. Math is ... well once I can decode the german, it's easy. Chemie is also not hard once everything's been decoded. Physics is above my head to the point of ridiculousness. Spanish is... bluh, idk, I can usually understand what's going on, and what else? Art? Well I haven't actually done anything in art yet.
As for my social life, I have one good friend, Dominik, and then a few other "pupils" that I asscociate with. I went to dinner with Georgena and her Australian boyfriend the other night, and it was fun. I'm singled out and embarressed constantly, and I'm forced to be comfortable with people I do not know very well, and after two months of that, I'm much less awkward around people, I guess. Like with Georgena and her boyfriend, it seemed entirely normal that I should spend the evening talking and laughing with people I hardly know at all. Who else would I asscociate with, the only people I do know very well are half way around the world, of course. Anyway, what I'm trying to say, is that already I'm more independant, and sure of myself. Et cetera, so on and so forth!
I do miss some aspects of NPHS, but that's mostly just the feeling of... well, owning the school. Like I could just leave SRT, go wherever I want, I know the school by heart, know every student and teacher... I miss Liz, the gal that managed to keep me entertained at school for 6 or so years straight. That's no easy feat either. And I miss Matthew, our shinanigans, during our free blocks and during English. I even miss Mrs. Roach, if only to have someone to incessantly make fun of. I miss being able to wear pajamas all day and coo at my cat, and no one thinks twice about it.
But don't think I'm complaining. I'm not homesick. Sure I miss my cat and my BFF, but I'm doing quite fine over here, quite healthy and happy. The Germans keep me well fed and merry and I can't really ask for more than that.

Alrighty then, well I'm off to more german adventures now. Toodles!

2 comments:

Julie said...

I'm guessing Apfelschorle is apple juice and that doesn't surprise me one bit! That was your favorite drink as a toddler.
The skills you are obtaining will serve you through out your entire life. I think you were already mature for your age, but this experience shoots you way past most.
So good to hear how life is for you.
Viel SpaB und Schonen Tag noch!
ma

Mixxelle said...

Nein, apple juice is Apfelsaft. Apfelschorle is carbonated apple juice, so you were close...