Sunday, November 9, 2008

I finally feel like I'm in Germany.

For all the glamorous appeal of being a foreign exchange student, when it boils down to it, all that means is being separated from everything and everyone you know, and being thrown into a world where you never understand what people are saying, and thusly not being easily able to make friends, and spending most time idle.
However, I mean not to complain. Honestly I can take all that. I do not crumble over mere things like boredom or lack of friends (at hand).
But what I mean to say is, I am finally starting to feel like it isn't so. Last night I went to a party, and I had a lot of fun, and I spoke in german the whole time (with a horribly american accent, and with horrible grammar, but hey...). Not to say that people spoke to me in German. Someone would ask me a question, and I couldn't hear over the blaring music, so I ask them to repeat, and they immediately switch to english, thinking I couldn't understand. It's like "No, it's just you speak fast and I can't hear you... but I do speak german, you know!" When people switch to english so quickily, I never know if I should be offended (because they assume I'm ignorant of the language, when the only problem is I didn't hear) or be grateful (because it english really is easier). I had an entire conversation where I spoke in German and he spoke in English, but that was only because he wanted to practice his English with me, and I refuse to speak in English unless it's something I can't say in German.
I bought "Alice im Wunderland" so that should make for good reading. I also have Twilight and the first Harry Potter in german. I got them because they are not written too complicatedly, and I will always understand what's going on since I've read them in english. Also I'm reading Animorphs in german from the library. And the Lord of the Rings - but in english. Not in german, that'd be way to hard for me. Except Dominik is reading it in english, which i find to be impressive because LOTR is thick reading (well he hasn't started yet because he's so "busy" aka designed pizza web programs and building a 3d replica of his house on google earth and other streber-ish things.)
But really, I can't wait until I can actually READ in german, for real. Before I go home, I'll have to go on a book buying rampage, because it's not like you can find german books in a store at home, and here there are millions. 'course there's always internet purchasing, but then there's also international shipping prices...
I know you guys will be like "Waahh we wanna hear about Austria, waahh!", but honestly there's not a lot to tell. I never really knew the names of all the places I saw, so I can't truly say where I've been. A lot of beautiful old cathedrals, and a frikking huge graveyard that had a bunch of famous people that I generally didn't know, except Beethoven (I mean, except it had Beethoven and I know who beethoven is). Basically I just saw a lot of elegance and extravagance... I was only there for 2 days, remember. The train ride went through the Czech republic, through Prague (is that how it's spelled in english? It's "Prag" in german), anyway so I spent a good 6 or so hours in Czech each way.
That's all for now because I dont feel like writing anymore.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Meine schon Tochter! It is so good to hear that you had fun at a party. You are coming right along, as I suspected you would!
Liebe Grusse

Mixxelle said...

Schoene, you mean, mum (schöne) and Gruesse (Grüße), since you can't write umlauts or ß.
Love ya ma, and thanks for the comment!

Brutus said...

Hey - I am pretty sure that Freddie Mercury grew up (went to school) in Austria; I will check later. It is possible that he is buried in the same graveyard as Beethoven.

It is hard to believe that it has been 4 months already. No doubt because you have been limited by the language barrier, there has been idle time and many awkward moments and difficulties making friends. But it also sounds like some of that is beginning to change for you. Not for me; I don't have any friends and am socially awkward all the time.